Friday, June 29, 2007

What day is it?

Early days at Sibley

Jen and I had a great meeting on Thursday with a lactation consultant who put us on track to successfully feed our little Jack. I have to say that Jen is a miracle of patience as she adjusts to the new function of being a food provider for our baby. Over the past 24 hours, we have gotten a lot better about making sure he gets the food he needs to grow strong. His weight has stabilized nicely and he graciously allowed us to sleep for 3 uninterrupted hours last night between 3 and 6. What a guy!

Dad is getting better with diapers and swaddling. Jack has yet to hit his dad with any kind of sneak-attack, but you just know that is coming.

Hospital care in the postpartum unit is interesting. Obviously, there are a lot of new moms and dads who are trying to figure things out. We've seen more than one frustrated parent (especially dads) who get curt with the nursing and care staff, but like in any situation involving people, that kind of approach gets you nowhere. Despite a few frustrations of my own, I try to remain light-hearted. On several occasions, I have announced at the nursing station that my boy is obviously the most handsome baby they have ever seen, which gets a laugh. Then, today, Michael the food cart guy came in with Jen's lunch and said, "Oh yeah, you've got the best looking baby. I've been here 7 years and seen 8,000 babies-- no doubt about it." And then he chuckled and offered me a free tray of lunch, saving me a trip downstairs to the cafeteria. Absolutely made my day.

No comments: